Our Women’s Health Department is looking to fill a weekday outpatient-only position. You will provide a balance of obstetric care (prenatal and postpartum only), gynecologic care and gynecologic procedures as well. Our obstetric patients deliver with the Yale midwifery service at the Vidone Birth Center at Yale New Haven Hospital. The Women’s Health Department is a close-knit team where we value the critical contributions of every member of our staff and where our patients feel truly known and cared for.
Prior outpatient obstetric and gynecologic experience preferred, but will consider new graduates who are committed to staying in the New Haven area. Spanish language skills are helpful but not a must.
The Women’s Health PA/NP/CNM is an advanced practice provider (APP) responsible for providing outpatient obstetric and gynecologic care in accordance with established clinical practice guidelines. The PA/NP/CNM administers direct prenatal and postpartum patient services, gynecologic preventive and problem-based care, and office-based procedures as appropriate. He or she provides educational and other related services to patients, may educate health professions students, and performs administrative duties pertaining to clinical care and department operations as needed. The PA/NP/CNM may participate in quality improvement, research, community presentations, professional meetings, and related committees.
• Provides preventive gynecologic care (e.g. well-woman visits, contraception), gynecologic problem-based care for common gynecologic complaints (e.g. infections, menstrual abnormalities, pelvic pain), and certain gynecologic procedures.
• Provides prenatal and postpartum care, including evaluation and management of common obstetrical complaints.
• Orders laboratory tests, imaging studies and professional consultations as appropriate, and prescribes appropriate treatment.
• Provides educational and other related services to patients.
• Participates in Departmental and organizational Medical Staff meetings, and contributes to performance improvement efforts such as chart audits/peer reviews.
• Consults with other staff or specialists to make appropriate referrals for acute, chronic and preventive health care.
• Coordinates patient care with colleagues, nursing, front desk, case management staff, Yale New Haven Hospital, and other agencies as necessary.
• Completes charting of notes, forms and coding in a timely and efficient manner. Documents encounters appropriately.
• Maintains confidentiality in regards to patients, staff and program matters at all times.
• Protects clients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
• Pursues continuing education opportunities as required by his or her professional society in order to maintain certification and update medical knowledge.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Graduate of accredited Physician Assistant, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, or Nurse-Midwifery program.
Experience: Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, National Certification Corporation, or American Midwifery Certification Board, and eligibility for licensure as a PA, NP, or Nurse-Midwife in the State of Connecticut. Minimum one (1) year experience as a certified PA/WHNP/CNM is desirable; however, new graduates committed to the New Haven community may be considered.
Knowledge/Abilities: Knowledge of clinical practice standards pertaining to obstetric and gynecologic care and requirements of PA/NP/CNM practice. Ability to independently seek out resources and solve complex problems. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to process and prioritize information, and perform medical evaluation, treatment, and follow-up. Ability to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in meeting organizational goals. Excellent organizational skills.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to bend and kneel. He or she may occasionally have long or irregular work hours. The employee must occasionally help move patients using proper body mechanics.
Must be able to deal with blood and use universal precautions at all times.
Travel within the State of Connecticut is required on an occasional basis. Must provide evening, weekend, and satellite site coverage when necessary.
CS-HHC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.