- This event has passed.
Healthcare Incident Command Systems (HICS): Application for Community Health Centers
April 6, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Healthcare Incident Command System (HICS):
Application for Community Health Centers
Dates: Thursday, April 6 and Thursday May 4, 2017
The purpose of this course is to provide knowledge and hands-on planning experience incorporating the Incident Command System (ICS) into your Center’s Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) and customizing ICS tools for your Center’s use. The training will begin with a 90-minute webinar to establish an understanding of key incident management concepts for FQHCs, based on the Healthcare Incident Command System (HICS) model, including how it is incorporated into the EOP. After the webinar, participants will have a one-month project period where they update the ICS components of their Center’s EOP as a team and customize standard HICS tools for their center. Technical assistance will be available to Center teams as needed during the project period. The course will close with a final 90-minute webinar where participants will share their project accomplishments and challenges followed by a presentation on how to draft and execute a workplace exercise to test their organization’s utilization of HICS. This training is a collaboration between NEPHTC, the DelValle Institute for Emergency Preparedness and CHCACT.
Course Learning Objectives
- Discuss the importance and purpose of utilizing HICS to manage the response to an incident.
- Discuss how HICS is incorporated into the organizational Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
- Describe the primary functions and management principles of HICS.
- Recognize the key HICS tools and forms used in incident management.
- Update the organizational EOP to enhance the use of HICS when the plan is activated
- Select HICS tools and forms to be used within the organization and adapt them as necessary
- Provide examples of common challenges updating an organizational EOP and associated HICS tools.
- Identify initial steps to draft an exercise to test the use of HICS in a simulated EOP activation.
- Locate resources to support the design and execution of an exercise.
- IS-100.HCb, Introduction to the Incident Command System for Healthcare/Hospitals
- Recommended: IS-700.a, National Incident Management System (NIMS), An Introduction
- CHC facility must have an EOP and participants must be able to use the plan for course activities
Duration of Training: 3 hours total for 2 webinars and 2 hours or more for team project to update organizational EOP between webinars.
Target audience: Center personnel who have a direct role in emergency preparedness planning and response, as well as key decision-making staff such as executive directors, operations managers, office managers and facility staff. Teams of 3 to five staff for each center are encouraged. Each team should appoint a leader to coordinate the project.
- Webinar 1: April 6, 2014 from 11 AM to 12:30 PM
- Project Period: April 7 to May 3, 2017
- Webinar 2: May 4, 2017 11 AM to 12:30 PM
Completion: Participants must attend both webinars and participate in the team project in order to receive a NEPHTC Certificate of Completion.
Registration is limited!
Questions? Contact Kathi Traugh at email@example.com or 203-7